Saturday, June 19, 2010

In the beginning there was a blank page




In the beginning there was a blank page, only I did not know about blank pages growing up in a chaotic household. I only knew about reacting to crises and trying to survive. When the Universe hit me with the proverbial 2 x 4 in the guise of post polio syndrome, a progressive neurological disease, I discovered the joy of the blank page. Immersing myself in 'New Age' teachers, I learned that I had the power to create my life. My future was not based on the past and I had the opportunity to create a new world for myself.

A blank page for some is daunting. Where do I begin to write, to express myself? Who am I? Where is my voice and do I have something meaningful to say? My blank page was filled before I realized I had a blank page on which to write. As I sat in the dark winter of February 2007, contemplating my future, the poem "Running the Race" flowed out of me. The poems which followed came from a place of stillness. Still waters do run deep. I had to keep blank pages with me at all times and they were quickly filled. Wherever I was, God spoke to me and my pen wrote. I did not know that I was writing a book. I only knew that on the wings of poetry, my spirit soared. I imagined myself feeling free, dancing free, being free despite using a wheelchair at times for mobility, using a leg brace and a cane and needing a wrist splint. Do you know the song, "Dancing Through Life" from Wicked? That became my theme song and I'd listen to it before physical therapy sessions. "Defying Gravity" from Wicked was another theme song I adopted. I was giving birth to myself and learning how to love myself for the first time in my life.

These books of inspirational poetry are God's gift to me. I love sharing this gift with others. I am overjoyed with the feedback I receive from my readers. Recently I have been very busy getting ready to launch "Set Sail for a New World:Healing a Life Through the Gift of Poetry" and forgot about my first baby, "New World Greetings:Inspirational Poetry and Musings for a New World." God spoke through three of my readers to remind me to be attentive to both of my babies.

"Your life story is incredible, and just to let you know, I have started reading the copy of New World Greetings, that you gave to my mum, your poetry is beautiful". This was written by a teen ager who chose to interview me for her Young Journalist Award submission.

"Gently set aside in life what's not for my highest good
Eliminate regrets and doubts~eliminate the should" excerpting from "Recipe for a Relationship"
Mary McManus You are an amazing gift, a talented poet and a beautiful woman of much wisdom. Thanks for giving me words to live by. I love the book!" Thank you to Susan for taking the time to post this on my Facebook wall!

I received an email from the photographer who did my author photo. I sent him a complimentary copy of my book as a thank you for creating a wonderful portrait. He gave me permission to use it on my website and for other promotional purposes. He told me that his wife chose to read one of the poems from "New World Greetings" at the memorial service of her father.

Receiving feedback
from my readers of how my poetry has touched their hearts and lives is the icing on the cake. Writing the poetry has been a powerful healing force in my life. I am so grateful to God for this gift entrusted to me. I have many wonderful upcoming Events at which I will be sharing my journey and my gift of poetry. I hope you will be able to join me. You can purchase my books of inspirational poetry through my website. Be sure to browse the samples of original poetry I create just for you at New World Greeting Cards where It's More than a Card, It's a Gift From The Heart!

I look forward to sharing my gifts with you.

What will you write on the blank page of your life today?

God bless and be well
With love,
Mary

No comments:

Followers