Thursday, December 16, 2010

Live Like You Were Dyin'-Trash Talk



I sign off on my blog God bless, be well and Live like you were dyin'. I decided it's time to reflect on that tag line. What does it mean to Live Like you were dyin'. Did you see the movie The Bucket List - that's live like you were dyin. In truth we have all been given a terminal diagnosis. What we do between birth and death is what matters. When I was 'given' the diagnosis of post polio syndrome in December 2006 I had a choice as we all do when we are given a life altering diagnosis. I chose to find a way to heal my life. Last October I had a recurrence of symptoms. :What did I do with it? What did I do with it?" - an opportunity for more learning and transformation.

I am blessed beyond words to be surrounded by so much love and support on this journey. For the first time in my life I feel whole. I feel joy and I feel a sense of reckless abandon which brings me to the subtitle of today's blog post - Trash Talk.

During our Boston Marathon training we would gather at Marathon Sports on Saturday mornings. I remember Domenick D'Amico and the other runners talking about trash talk and talking trash talk. For my non runner followers trash talk is when you say you're gonna best someone at a certain race and you're gonna do a certain time. That was one conversation I thought I would never be a part of. At Lexs Run I am not sure who said it first but running a PR came up. And then at the Super Hero 5K - another PR. This Sunday we are running the Jingle Bell 5K Run in Somerville. Why am I running a race in the middle of December and why I am trash talkin' about setting another PR? Because I am living like I am dyin'. And so what if I don't achieve a PR on that day; it's the joy of the journey and not the destination that counts.

I spent so many years of my life living in fear and being shackled to untruths perpetrated by other people. "And I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin'..." But now I am alive and awake. I turn 57 on Christmas Day. My birthday celebrations consist of running the Jingle Bell 5K, {and setting a PR},running a 10K for autism with my daughter and husband at Doug Welch's home on the 26th, going out for dinner and singing Karaoke that night with Tom, our daughter,and two dear friends, and having a brunch with friends on the 27th.

So what's on my bucket list for 2011?
Setting a PR at the Hyannis 10K and the Tufts 10K
Speaking at Channel 7's Health and Fitness Expo
Going to the Exceptional Women Luncheon as an official 'exceptional woman' and who knows maybe even being selected for the Courage Award
Speaking at Rotary's District Assembly
Training for the Bermuda Half Marathon to be run in 1/12
Distributing my documentary "Keeping the Pace:The Mary McManus Story" to raise money for the End Polio Now Campaign
Working with Luna to create a run to End Polio Now
Raising over $10,000 for Childrens Hospital
Watching my husband cross the finish line of the 115th Boston Marathon
Being a guest on Good Morning America

Fairy tales can come true - it can happen to you - if you're young at heart! At almost 57 I am young at heart, dreaming big and aiming high because I'm livin' like I'm dyin!

God bless, be well and live like you were dyin
From my heart to yours with love and gratitude
Mary

No comments:

Followers