Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Some Thoughts on Courage


“You have plenty of courage, I am sure," answered Oz. "All you need is confidence in yourself. There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger. The true courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty.”

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz



The courage definition is traced back to the Latin "coraticum," meaning "heart." The heart is the core of the courage definition because it is the source from which the characteristics of courage emanate. Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1534125



It's been almost 11 months since the Boston Marathon Bombings. The anniversary of 4/15/13 and then the 2014 Boston Marathon are right around the corner. I toyed with the idea of running this year's Boston for Spaulding Rehab for about a minute realizing that it would not be a good choice for me to train for another Boston Marathon but I knew I needed to do something to heal my broken heart from this event that shook us to the core.

I've been a part of support crew for L Street Running Club:





Co hosted Singing Boston Strong: Karis' Karaoke for a Kause:


There's Greg and me dedicating Born to Run to Karis' Boston Marathon run.

And I've helped to organize Greg Gordon's Boston Marathon Fund Raiser: Singing Boston Strong: An Evening of A Cappella to Benefit Spaulding Rehab happening on April 4:


On April 13th, we are volunteering to do packet stuffing for the B.A.A.

I know how blessed I was to not witness the carnage first hand and to be able to safely evacuate from the Mandarin Oriental Hotel. My heart is forever filled with gratitude for the courageous staff at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel who calmly led us through an evacuation route to the back of the hotel away from the explosions on Boylston Street.

Still the effects of the bombing are with me especially as we approach the anniversary and I prepare for Marathon Monday. Truth be told, the thought of going back to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel terrifies me. I have offered to help Spaulding Rehab on Marathon Monday because several members of their Development Office are running this year. There are 100 members of the Race for Rehab team and they will need all hands on deck at the reception.

I'm honored that I am a Spaulding Rehab Alum having run the 2009 Boston Marathon for Spaulding:


and that I am healthy and strong and able bodied to be able to volunteer on Marathon Monday.

But I'm still terrified and so I decided that what I need to do is go back to the Mandarin before Marathon Monday. I need to walk up the stairs where I once hobbled after running the 2009 Boston Marathon and where I walked with such excitement and joy for the first time since my Boston Marathon run last 4/15/13.

I need to walk into the suite where time stood still at 2:50pm and look out onto Boylston Street.

And I need to allow all of the emotions and sensations to wash over me as I along with hundreds of thousands of people prepare, with open and full hearts, to join together on 4/21/14 for the 118th running of the Boston Marathon.


No comments:

Followers