Friday, May 7, 2010

Feathering the Empty Nest


One month from today it will be official -- my husband and I join the ranks of empty nesters. On June 6th my daughter moves to Murfreesboro, Tennessee (just outside of Nashville) to follow her dreams. Her twin brother moved out almost a year ago and while she was in Nashville for ten days, my husband and I had plenty of practice time to be empty nesters. She also works long hours so while she has been living at home, we have had a lot of time to spend together. Fortunately, we trained for the Boston Marathon and if a couple survives those LOOOONG training runs, they can survive anything - even having a whole house to themselves.

It's taken me just about three years to master this thing called 'retirement'. On May 25th, 2007 I walked away from my career as a social worker and into God's loving arms to heal my life. I must confess that I have not been a master at transitions. Change for me has always been sudden, traumatic, jolting but now I have the opportunity to experience change in an entirely new way by working through and transforming the traumatic events of the past that no longer need to rent space in my mind. So one of the ways to experience this new phase of my life is to feather the nest with love, joy and life experiences and adventures.

Today was one of those 'magical' experiences. For years I have listened to Magic 106.7 and heard Candy O talk about the Exceptional Women's Luncheon. I was drawn to the event but did not know why. I would always feel a sense of sadness because it came right around Mothers Day and Candy would suggest that it would make a great Mothers Day present. Through serendipity, I met someone who pitched my Exceptional Woman story to Candy. Because of time constraints they could not get me in for an interview before this year's luncheon. But I decided I wanted to attend - I felt I was guided to attend and so I bought my ticket. I always imagined it would be so cool to share this with a girlfriend but I was prepared to go by myself. Then, last week I met up with a friend whom I hadn't seen in months! Martha Huntley of Room for Change. We met at networking events and belong to a mutual admiration society. I told her that I was going to the Exceptional Women event and she said that sounds like fun - send me the link. So we went together!

I was moved to tears by the inspirational stories of the women recognized today. In addition to the award winners, they paid tribute to the Exceptional Women who have been interviewed on the radio show. I was humbled and proud to be among them. I have 'pitched' my story to Candy O on several occasions; even 'bumping' into her at a concert. As always, there is Divine Timing even with needing to postpone my interview until after the luncheon. My message needed time to be honed. I bring awareness to polio and post polio syndrome and I am the voice for the End Polio Now campaign. I am the voice and heart and hands for the children in India who walk on all fours because they have been crippled by polio. I am the voice of hope - working with Hope Charitable Trust that we can take care of the world's polio kids and create a polio free world. I am also a shining example of how, with God, all things are possible.

You can't judge a book by its cover, unless it's my 2nd book of inspirational poetry - photo above. Thank you to Publish America for creating a wonderful cover to embrace the words God has given me to share with you. When you purchase copies of my books of inspirational poetry 20% of book proceeds are donated to Hope Charitable Trust & The Salk Institute for Biological Studies.

Graduations, weddings, birthdays, anniversaries -- so many celebrations - so little time - so relax - let New World Greeting Cards collaborate with you to create an original poem to celebrate and commemorate life's special events.

Thank you for reading - God bless & be well.
With love,
Mary

No comments:

Followers