Monday, April 15, 2013

Marathon Music

"A marathon is like life with its ups and downs, but once you've done it, you feel you can do anything."
-Anonymous


While I am at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel today cheering on runners from Spaulding Rehab's Race for Rehab Team, I thought I would share with you the music that inspired me during these past six and a half years on my healing odyssey and fueled my journey to the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 20, 2009.

Here they are in no particular order --

Dancing Through Life When I was undergoing diagnostic testing and assessment at Spaulding Rehab's Post Polio Clinic in Framingham, I listened intently and incessantly to this song imagining that even if I did need to be in a wheelchair, I could still find a way of dancing through life.


Defying Gravity After I completed outpatient rehab, hired a personal trainer and made the declaration I would run the 2009 Boston Marathon, this became my theme song -- "I'm through accepting limits, 'cuz someone says they're so."


This Is The Moment - I listened to this during our training runs as I visualized myself on Marathon Monday. I listened to it on the long bus ride out to Hopkinton from Spaulding Rehab Hospital in downtown Boston


Purpose - Many times during these past six and a half years, I wondered about my Purpose. It has been evolving and I am so grateful for each experience I have had since leaving my full time career at the VA. I feel a strong sense of purpose unfolding now as I prepare to co facilitate a mindful caregivers support group at the Alzheimers Association and create a "Healing the Art" event for people who have survived the death of a loved one as a result of suicide. All proceeds will benefit Ben Speaks.


Rocky - duh!I listened to this whenever we trained on Heartbreak Hill. During our final long run, while listening to the theme from Rocky. I found a Helen Keller quarter. You can read about it in my post from 2009, "Why April Is My Favorite Month."


Astonishing - I kept reminding myself how Astonishing I was in my journey on the road to the Boston Marathon


Fantasies Come True - Although this is a love song from Avenue Q, the energy of the song kept reminding me that yes indeed, what we think and dream about can in fact come true with a lot of hard work and effort


Don't Stop Believing and I didn't!


Ride - It was a great ride indeed~another wonderful Heartbreak Hill training song


And last but not least
Beautiful Day -- Got us through those l-o-n-g training runs


that ultimately led us to the finish line of the 113th Boston Marathon.




To everyone running the 117th Boston Marathon today may you have a beautiful day and remember you are all astonishing!

From my heart to yours
With total love and deepest gratitude,
Mary

MAY ALL BEINGS BE HAPPY AND FREE!

No comments:

Followers