Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Healing Through the Gift of Poetry-Welcome to My World!

In February 2007, on a dark, cold winter's day I was contemplating my future. I had worked as a social worker for over 25 years and having been diagnosed with post polio syndrome I knew I had to quit my full time job...but what's a social worker to do? I had always enjoyed writing customized poetry for friends and family and they all told me I should work for a major greeting card company....on that day in February as I sat in a leg brace and using a cane and at times a wheelchair for mobility, I felt the urge to create...and poetry began to pour out of me. A book was beginning to take shape and my husband told me that I should start my own greeting card company. New World Greetings, customized poetry for all occasions was born (www.newworldgreetings.com) and I was blessed to have my book published: New World Greetings:Inspirational Poetry and Musings for a New World (Publish America 2007). By reconnecting with God in my life, following my bliss, making major lifestyle changes, quitting my full time job, going through intensive outpatient rehab at Boston's Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital and then hiring a personal trainer, I have experienced amazing physical healing. I traded in my polio shoes for a pair of running shoes this past March and on 10/13/08, my daughter and I ran the Tufts 10K Road Race at our record time of 13:53 minute/mile! Phenomenal considering that two years prior, I could barely walk up the stairs in my house and saw a very bleak future for myself.

1 comment:

Worth-Waiting-For said...

I have enjoyed reading your recent posts so much that I just decided to start from the beginning to get everything in sequence :)

Followers