Sunday, September 6, 2009

Imagination

Imagination - the act or power of forming a mental image of something not present to the senses or never before wholly perceived in reality

"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions." – Albert Einstein

My friends have often told me that I have a wild imagination -- I can conjure up images of problems and even feel that solar plexus clutch as though the situation were happening right now. In being loving and compassionate to myself, I realize that having grown up in a household overflowing with trauma and challenges I developed this habit as a form of protection. Observing this habit of mine I came to the realization that it is time to truly harness this power of imagination to create visions of positive outcomes and to use my imagination to hold the intentions of what I want to experience. It's easy to use my imagination to react with fear, waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak but harnessing my imagination to see positivity, love and light is a much better use of this gift.

This morning during my meditation I had the image of Mickey the Magician from Fantasia. I had the image of the broom sweeping away the cobwebs of imagining negative images and having the water that overflowed from the buckets as new life, new thoughts, refreshment. If I can use the mind to experience fear and worry and have the physical reaction to these thoughts, then how about if I focus my thoughts and imagination on joyous events and outcomes and celebrate all the amazing things in my life which have already come to pass.

The Waterfall
Waterfall of gratitude cascading joyous tears
new life, new thoughts, renewal
bathe away the taunts and jeers.
Imagine - let my thoughts run free
to hope, to wish, to dream
One with You unlimited
life not as it may seem.
Transcend all earthly barriers
I live the life Divine
Heaven can be here on Earth
I let my Spirit shine.
Challenges - life's crises
are a blessing inside out
strength comes with faith and prayer
outcome never is in doubt.
Listen to the Voice Divine
to know which way to go
relax into the rhythm
of life's waters steady flow.

Having contracted paralytic polio at the age of 5 left me with little time to dream and imagine as I had to harness all of my physical and mental energies into learning how to walk again. Just as I have had to learn how to walk again many times in my life, I have to learn how to flex my imagination muscles on a regular basis. After all, I was fantastic at imagining myself running the Boston Marathon; I was wonderful at imagining exceeding our fund raising goal. Now it's time for me to have fun and use my imagination to fuel feeling love, joy, happiness and peace. It's time for me to use my vision to join with the Vision and Voice of God and move forward with confidence and determination as I live my highest purpose. There are many exciting events scheduled with incredible opportunities to share my journey and my gift of poetry. Shoulders squared, head held high I step out with joy remembering the words of Michael Jordan, "I missed 100% of the shots I never took," and the words of Michael Bernard Beckwith, "Energy flows where attention goes."


Be sure to check out the wonderful piece done by 7 News Health Cast which aired on 8/6 and the piece produced by BU Today

To purchase a copy of my book, "New World Greetings:Inspirational Poetry and Musings for a New World" overflowing with love, healing, grace and whimsy and which helps me and others to experience healing and inspiration, visit www.newworldgreetings.com I generously donate 20% of the proceeds to Spaulding Rehab's Polio Fund.

Be sure to check out the News and Events tab to see where I will share my journey and gift of poetry this fall!

And while you're there, visit my sumptuous samples of customized poetry. Enter a new world of greeting cards and celebrate, commemorate and allow me to create an original poem for that special someone and that special occasion.

No comments:

Followers