Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Joy is in the Journey

On Sunday I will take my place at the starting line of the Inaugural Bill Rodgers 5K Run to benefit Prostate Cancer.



The hay is in the barn so to speak. I've trained on the course and worked hard this week in Aquatics Therapy classes. I even did a few extra swimming laps last night for good measure. I've been meditating, visualizing and listening to my playlist which includes this oldie but goodie from Whitney Houston:



I have also been asking myself why am I focusing on going for a PR on Sunday? As a side note, I've redefined PR for my new age group and a PR since my return to the roads after 4/15/13. My 5K PR for all time was at the Somerville Jingle Bell Run 5K in December of 2010; 42:21.



It's not the time on the finisher's clock that truly matters to me. It's about setting a goal. Working towards that goal. Embracing and anticipating reaching that goal and not attaching to the outcome.

As a survivor of paralytic polio followed by 9 years of childhood violence, it's about resurrecting the champion within; the athlete and feeling the fire in my belly (yes along with the butterflies) of taking on a course and seeing if I can beat my time of a 15:30 minute/mile pace for a 5K during a race.

I don't know what will happen on Sunday. A lot will depend on the weather and how I feel when I wake up in the morning. I am going for a massage treatment today at Sollievo and am taking these 3 days as rest days.

I'm reading Johnny Kelley's Young at Heart:



As my trainer said to me before our first session in October of 2007, "Let's see what this body can do."

Whatever the outcome, I am going to have a wonderful time on Sunday. The joy is in the journey.

And speaking of journeys - I chronicle the first 7 years of my healing journey in my memoir, "Coming Home:A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility" available along with all of my books on Amazon. I donate 50% of royalty payments to The One Fund to benefit survivors of 4/15/13.









No comments:

Followers