Saturday, July 24, 2010

Celebration as a Spectator


Two years ago Tom, Ruth Anne and I ran the Marathon Sports 5 Miler. It was the toughest road race of all the road races we would compete in as we trained for the Boston Marathon. The course has several hills, the gun goes off at 7 pm and it was steamy. It was also the toughest psychological road race for me. It is a fast and competitive field of runners. It was one of the few times that I cried and wondered what I was doing training for the Boston Marathon. But I never gave up.

This year I had the pleasure of celebrating as a spectator sending my husband off amidst the sea of runners and cheering him on as I saw him enter the track to finish the race. This year the weather was perfect for an evening run. There was a cool breeze and not a cloud in the sky. While waiting for him I sat down on the bleachers and 'just happened' to sit next to parents who were there to cheer on their daughter. We were chit chatting and I noticed that the mother was in an electric wheelchair. She lives with multiple sclerosis. We talked about what it is like living with a neurological disease and focused on how blessed we feel in our lives. She had a smile and a grace that is indescribable in words. You had to be in her presence to understand what I meant. She was genuinely excited to hear of my journey and having run the Boston Marathon. We were both genuinely excited as we waited for our respective family members to come near the finish line.

I'll be honest that when we first arrived at the road race I felt twinges of wanting to be out on the course. I wanted to know what it felt like to run at a fast pace and keep up with the pack. But I know that's not my destiny and I was so grateful for being able to walk on the field and be with my husband. I was so grateful for every step I take and take nothing for granted. And then, what a bonus to be seated next to a family whose love and courage see them through the ups and downs of multiple sclerosis. What a delight to see my new friend cheer on my husband as he crossed the finish line. What a blessing to celebrate my husband's personal best. What a blessing to meet the daughter of these two wonderful parents and to feel the common bonds of love, joy and being grateful for what is.

My husband is going to run the Falmouth Road Race for those who can't - literally. He is running for Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts Foundation We only have 3 weeks until the race so please get your donations in now. When you make your donation via paypal, put in the instructions for Tom McManus' Road Race Run. We are having a fun(d) raiser on 7/31st from 12 to 5 pm at our home 30 Eliot Street Chestnut Hill, MA 02467. We would love to see you all there.

To read the poetry I wrote on this wondrous healing journey, you can order my books of inspirational poetry. "New World Greetings:Inspirational Poetry and Musings for a New World" fueled my journey from post polio to Boston Marathon finisher. "Set Sail for a New World:Healing a Life through the Gift of Poetry" takes you on my healing voyage. With God as my anchor and beacon of hope, I transform life's pain and struggles. God's love fills my sails and awaken to my inner beauty and the beauty of the world around me. When you purchase these treasures, you are also supporting the Ms. Wheelchair Massachusetts Foundation I donate 20% of book proceeds to this wonderful grass roots organization whose mission is empowerment, advocacy and opportunity for mobility impaired individuals in Massachusetts.

Enter a whole New World of Greeting Cards and check out the sumptuous samples of original poetry I can create to celebrate and commemorate your special occasions.

Be sure to check out all of the exciting News and Events happenings.

Poetry and photos of my Boston Marathon journey are now available at www.marymcmanus.com

Thanks for joining me on my journey of love

God bless and be well

With love,
Mary

No comments:

Followers