Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Ride - Running in the Rain



Yes, followers, yet another song from my playlist - pretty soon you'll be able to make your own running playlist from my blog titles - smile! Today it's Martina McBride's Ride

You wake up from your dreamin' and you don't want to face the day
You can't find a reason to think your world will ever change
You can hide beneath the covers
Or you can run outside, head up high and carry on

Life is a roller coaster ride
Time turns the wheel and love collides
Faith is believing you can close your eyes and touch the sky
To shine while you have the chance to shine
Laugh even when you want to cry
Hold on tight to what you feel inside and ride

It brings you up slowly then shoots you like a rocket towards the ground
It twists you and it shakes you before it turns you upside down
You can't see what's around the corner
And you can't look back, so just live it up and feel the rush

Life is a roller coaster ride
Time turns the wheel and love collides
Faith is believing you can close your eyes and touch the sky
So shine while you have the chance to shine
Laugh even when you want to cry
Hold on tight to what you feel inside and ride

Ride, ride, yeah

Oh yeah, shine while you have the chance to shine
Laugh even when you want to cry
Hold on tight to what you feel inside and ride

Ride, ride, yeah, yeah

I awoke to a grey, drizzly day here in Brookline. There was a slight chill in the air. The debate began - recumbent bike or get outside and go for a run. I have less than a week to go before the Tufts 10K. I just needed to do a good 45 minute cardio work out. I know I am ready for race day but want to keep my edge. I opted for a run outside. Truth be told, last winter I overdosed on my recumbent bike if one can do such a thing and any time I have the opportunity to get outside, I would much prefer it. I remembered a training run in the pouring rain - 11 miles -- umpteen times around the reservoir near our house so we could come home and immediately hop into the shower without having to get into the car.

There is magic in the rain. Shortly after being diagnosed with post polio syndrome I had a dream. I took off my brace and went outside and danced barefoot in the rain a la Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain. When I awoke, I wrote the poem
Come Out And Play (From New world Greetings:Inspirational Poetry and Musings for a New World):
Arms flung open wide, dancing in the rain
Pure abiding joy to feel alive again.
Healing tears fall and blend in God's puddle
No time to sit in a corner and huddle.
All the old rules driven by fears
Washed away now by God's loving tears
The imprint Dad left no longer remains
Rain washes away all of the stains.
Baptized with Love, Truth lights my way
The sun shines through on this rany day.
Splashing and laughing, my heart opens wide
Embracing and flowing, I'm one with the tide.
God takes my hand - release the old way
BATHE IN MY GLORY-COME OUT AND PLAY!

And so I chose to go outside and play in the rain today. I donned a hat, my marathon jacket, black capris, old running shoes and socks and my iPod. I sang in the rain as I ran around the reservoir where there was fog and mist. Through the fog I could see the muted colors of the leaves on the tree. I only ran once around and then decided to do a pavement run thinking that I would be drier and less muddy. Little did I know that I would be baptized by the water from a car that raced through a puddle. All I could do was laugh.

This new found freedom and unbridled joy is due in large part to the soul work I continue to do by meditating, writing in my journal, reading my dear friend and soul sister's Prayer Blog, Daily Word and sharing in the joy filled journey of my fellow runners and so many beautiful friends. I have a confidence in my body and I am no longer afraid of going out into a chilly rain. I am fearless on a whole new level. I feel incredibly blessed that I continue to receive positive and loving feedback from friends old and new in social media. It fuels my journey. My documentary is reaching audiences across the country as I send them to friends and Rotarians. My joy also comes from sharing this journey with my life long partner on and off the roads. While some may groan that it was a lousy day outside and when will the rain ever stop, I felt incredible joy that I could go out and do a training run as I prepare to run my fourth race in five months next Monday, The Tufts 10K.

To learn more about my journey visit www.marymcmanus.com
Check out New World Greeting Cards and my books of inspirational poetry which make wonderful gifts as the holiday season rapidly approaches!

God bless, be well and enjoy every minute!
Take time to go out and dance in the rain
With love,
Mary

1 comment:

Pam said...

Thank you for this blog post!! Tomorrow....I am going out to play in the rain!! Okay, maybe I'll just RUN in the rain, but who knows.....maybe I will dance a little also....just don't tell Alex and Conor....they would be mortified!!
Love you!! Pam

Followers