Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Book Review: My First 100 Marathons



I 'met' Jeff Horowitz, author of My First 100 Marathons: 2,620 Miles with an Obsessive Runner on Pure Fit Radio. We became facebook friends and I thought that his book would make a wonderful Father's Day gift for my husband since he now is hooked on running marathons. I know it isn't really cool to give a 'used' gift for Father's Day but when the book arrived I was so intrigued by the content that I just had to read it first. And boy am I glad I did.

I am usually not a fast reader but I read Jeff's book in two days. I couldn't wait to read about his next adventure, his next triumph and how he overcame challenges and trials. If you believe that you have to be in love with running or have even run a marathon to enjoy Jeff's book, think again. While Jeff's story is, 'in many ways the story of everyone who has ever attempted and succeeded in running a 26-mile race', this is a book that non runners or people who are in love with runners will enjoy. This book transcends running and it transcends the marathon. Running and running marathons are metaphors for life. Jeff's book is about one man's journey to discover how he can use his natural gift of being able to run to make a difference in the world. Jeff looks deep within himself to explore why he runs marathons and his inward journey echoes to so many of us who are seeking purpose and passion in our lives.

Jeff's odyssey takes us from his first time running and around the globe on his quest to run 100 marathons. It spans 18 years of a physical and spiritual journey. Jeff's runs are set against the backdrop of his personal journey and placed in historical context. The book jacket has a brief bio of Jeff:
"Jeff Horowitz is a certified personal trainer and running coach, living in Washington DC. In addition to his own running, he has coached hundreds of others to run their first marathon while raising money for various charities. He's also an attorney, columnist, husband and father to little Alex Michael, who pleased his daddy by quickly learning how to say, "Look, I'm Running!" Visit Jeff at www.runtothefinishline.com."
To get to know Jeff in his personal account of My First 100 Marathons and find a part of yourself in his journey, run don't walk to get his book. If you order it through his website, he will send you an autographed copy.

God bless, be well and live like you were dyin'
From my heart to yours with love and gratitude,
Mary

No comments:

Followers