Sunday, October 6, 2013

Saturday in the South End with Tom

It kind of reminded me of Sunday in the Park With George as Tom and I arrived early to the SpeakEasy Stage Theater on a gorgeous Fall Saturday afternoon in Boston. We had tickets to see the critically acclaimed "Tribes". The City of Boston has placed 75 pianos outdoors for people to sit down and play as part of a two week art installation of the pianos entitled, "Play Me, I'm Yours." One of the pianos was outside the SpeakEasy Stage Theater and there was a troupe of singers bringing the joy of Broadway to the sidewalk of Boston.



The forecast had been for rain but as you can see from these photos, it was a sparkling sunny day.



Walking from our car to the SpeakEasy Stage theater was a joy for me. I was wearing sandals to adorn my outfit. I felt comfortable, free and easy despite having trained on a 1.2 mile hill and done a total of 3.5 miles preparing for my next event, The Feaster Five which takes place on Thanksgiving morning.

After enjoying several performances, we made our way to the box office to pick up our tickets and get settled into our seats.

Tribes is a riveting play about language, communication, belonging, isolation, loneliness and ultimately LOVE.



Here are some links to read more about the show:
http://artery.wbur.org/2013/09/26/transcript-actor-james-caverly-and-director-m-bevin-ogara-of-speakeasys-tribes

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/theater-art/2013/09/18/absorbing-tribes-speaks-volumes-about-failures-communicate/mep9y0lpzYwNTv5DkidraM/story.html

http://bostoneventsinsider.com/2013/09/speakeasy-delivers-insightful.html

The show has been extended through 10/19 due to popular demand. It is a theatrical experience that left Tom and me speechless by the final scene. The themes in the play are universal to the human condition. The struggles of the characters are brought to life by the cast. I forgot that I was watching a play. The staging draws the audience into the world of Billy, Sylvia and his family as the play is performed in a theater in the round style.



After the show, Tom and I walked to Stephi's on Tremont for dinner.



We chose their house salad to start, baby arugula and spinach tossed with lemon olive oil vinaigrette and shaved parmesan cheese. I had the grilled salmon, with fresh picked fava bean succotash, chipotle hazelnut romesco and pea tendrils and Tom selected the Pan roasted new england cod over sweet corn and smokey bacon chowder and herb roasted potatoes, topped with buttermilk onion strings. The service was impeccable and the flavors tickled my palette. We just had to experience one of their in house made desserts and chose the white chocolate cheesecake savoring a hot cup of mint herbal tea. The Red Sox game was on in the background and while there was the din of the diners conversing at individual tables, whenever there was a big play, there was a collective sigh or cheers that echoed throughout the restaurant.

As Tom and I were walking back to our car, I felt a wave of gratitude wash over me. I remember a time not too long ago when this kind of an afternoon and evening would have been a struggle for me; when pain and fatigue prevented me from experiencing a full and vibrant life and when difficulty with swallowing prevented me from enjoying and savoring an amazing meal. I live fully in my body and fully in my life. I can wear sandals. I can walk with ease and comfort down city streets and I can thoroughly enjoy a Saturday in the South End with my husband Tom!

Learning to Dance from the soon to be released A Celebration of Life. My books of inspirational poetry are available on Amazon.

It’s never too late
you’re never too old
to learn to dance
paralyzed from polio
paralyzed with fear
frozen in time

awkward and unsure
shame and confusion
embarrassment
I fell into the trap of ego
my leg snared in the jaws of agony and defeat

saved by grace
my rescuer nursed my wounds
tentative steps
stiff and clumsy
painstaking movement
fueled by thoughts of days gone by
the match is lit
no match for darkness
the music of my heart’s desire
moved me to try once again
step by step
the dance of my life
the way I was always meant to dance

yes wrinkles mark the passage of time
yet
I burn brightly

until my dance is done.










No comments:

Followers