Sunday, October 27, 2013

Don't Get Ahead of Yourself

When I woke up this morning, I knew in every fiber of my being that I was ready to increase my mileage on training runs. Jamaica Pond had been our go to place for training runs when we were training for the 2009 Boston Marathon.



We know it is 1.5 miles/loop and I told Tom I was ready to do three times around. There were no parking spaces nearby so I got a little extra mileage complete with a steep hill to and from our car for a total of 5 yes count them 5 miles!!!!

It was a chilly start but I had my layers on. The sun was still warm and felt wonderful as we walked around the Pond laced with fall foliage and feeling leaves crunch underneath our feet. I wasn't concerned about pace and wanted to focus on increasing distance.

As we walked by one of the stone walls, I remembered how seeing them covered with snow and the Pond covered in ice inspired one of my poems that I include in the chapter, Running Free in A Celebration of Life: (now available on Amazon

Courage - January 5, 2009
The fear of ice and snow and slush embedded in my soul
a training run in winter - the path to Being whole.
A winter scene - Jamaica Pond - a feast for eyes' delight
to witness nature's splendor and behold this glorious sight.
A leaf - a tiny dancer - skating free without a sound
God's breath directs her movements,as She guides her twirling 'round.
Families of ducks decide to walk or take a dip
a comedy of errors into icy water slip.
The branches now bejeweled with ice bend with loving Grace
sparkling diamonds' anchor water's surface hold in place.
God's hand a glove of glistening snow hugs rocks along the wall
their heads peek out reminding me I'm answering God's call.
A scene I'd never witness if I let my fear take hold
courage triumphed, steppin' out with footsteps sure and bold.
Knowing that the pain subsides and Spirit can prevail
the Marathon is beckoning - through those miles I shall sail.


There were moments when a runner would pass us and I would instinctively pick up my pace. Tom reminded me to slow down and keep a more steady pace so that my body could get used to the increased mileage. By our third time around, I was feeling my "marathon" self emerge. I wanted to just keep going and going and going. As we were heading into the last half of our final loop, an animal totem appeared moving ever so slowly in our path:



Tom posted the photo on facebook with the caption, "We crossed paths with a little caterpillar on our 5 mile run this morning. We wish him or her a successful journey!"

Today the training began for the 2014 Tufts 10K for Women.

But I can't do this the way I did it back in February of 2008 when I declared that I wanted to run the 2009 Boston Marathon for Spaulding. I went from 0 miles to 26.2 miles in just a little over a year. I pushed my body to move rather than move in my body. I am learning how to move in my body. I am learning how to pace myself and just like that fuzzy caterpillar that crossed our path today I am reminded that I cannot get ahead of myself.




No comments:

Followers