Monday, June 2, 2014

Moving Beyond Yourself-Monday Motivation


"Believe that you can run farther or faster. Believe that you're young enough, old enough, strong enough, and so on to accomplish everything you want to do. Don't let worn-out beliefs stop you from moving beyond yourself."
~John Bingham


At yesterday's Corrib Pub 5K Road Race
, I was keenly aware of the challenge of living with the effects of paralytic polio and trauma, yet I did not let those challenges define me, defy me or stop me from moving beyond myself.

I surround myself with people who believe in me and who accept me just as I am, cheering me along every step of the way. I am deeply grateful for my friends Margo and Julie Feeney, and my husband Tom who allowed me to set the pace for the day and in their own way, gently challenged me to challenge myself by running a little in front of me at times. They honored my challenges and checked in to make sure I was doing okay given the heat and the hills.

I was so inspired as we neared the finish line that I moved beyond myself and took off with a sprint.



Being among the running community, watching a running movie classic, Chariots of Fire, reading Bill Rodgers Marathon Man or Dave McGillivray's Last Pick, reading inspirational blogs and posts on Facebook, feeling gratitude for ALL that I am able to do are wonderful antidotes to worn out beliefs about who I am and what I am able to do.

How do you move beyond yourself and cast aside worn-out beliefs so that you have the energy to create and accomplish everything you want to do?

My memoir, "Coming Home:A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility" which chronicles my 7 year healing odyssey including how I moved beyond paralytic polio and trauma to run the 2009 Boston Marathon, is now available on Amazon. I donate 50% of royalty payments through on line sales to The One Fund to help Boston Marathon survivors and their families. Copies are also available at Brookline Marathon Sports. $5 of each book sold at Marathon Sports is donated to The One Fund.













No comments:

Followers