Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Another Step Forward - With One Pound Weights - Actually Make That Two Pounds

"The best we can hope for is to stabilize the deterioration where it is now but it's important that you be prepared for the likelihood that you will be in a wheelchair at some point in the future." That's what I was told seven years ago. Dr. Rosenberg meant well - he really did - based on medicine's understanding of the sequellae from paralytic polio, post polio syndrome is deemed a progressive neuromuscular disorder.

It's been quite the roller coaster ride of a healing odyssey these past 7 years, and today marks a milestone for me. After a few months working in twice/week Aquatics Therapy classes at Spaulding Rehab, I knew the time was right for me to challenge myself.

I told our therapist, Karis, that I wanted ankle weights.



She brought over the 1 pound weights and checked in with me throughout class asking me how I was doing.

I felt challenged and I felt my body working in new ways. While doing squats, I could feel the energy and strength flow from my feet to the crown of my head. I could "feel the burn" in new ways during all of the exercises.

Tonight I am sore and incredibly delighted that I have taken another step forward on my healing journey - this time with one pound ankle weights on.

Moving Forward from A Celebration of Life now available on Amazon

Tethered and tied up to what once was
decades ago
staples, sutures
scar tissue
gingerly
tenderly released
my form reappears

now training for a 5K
training mind
moving mindfully
retraining body

a surprising bounce in my step
a lightness in my heart
awesome creation
transformation
how is this possible?

A beacon of light for others
of what IS possible
once defeated
now defying the odds

trusting in this miracle
moving forward.




p.s. The other day in Aquatics Class as I got my weights, I happened to glance at the color coded chart for the ankle weights. I am actually using two pound ankle weights!

1 comment:

KarenD said...

I am so excited to read your story! You are an inspiration! Thank you for sharing!!

Followers