Saturday, December 14, 2013

"You're wicked strong...keep it up."

The temperatures plummeted here in New England. My husband Tom said, "I think it's time we go back to the BU Track to train." He was referring to when we were training for the 2009 Boston Marathon and we did "105 Times Around the Track" to get in our miles during the grueling winter of 2009.



I'm not training for any particular event. My next race is not until April 6, Run For The Troops 5K. But I love running. I love the discipline and I love being able to do cardio workouts. I love challenging myself and I love seeing what my body can now do.

I am not the only one noticing my newfound strength. As we were running around the track, there was a young personal trainer leading a small group of BU women through their paces. About 3.5 miles in, she spontaneously said to Tom and me, "You're wicked strong...keep it up!"

When they were finished with their workout, we cheered for them as we passed them winding down our 35 times around the BU track.

If you would have told me at the beginning of this year that I would be running 5 miles, I would have told you that you were out of your mind! With the way I felt, I thought that there was no way I was going to ever be able to return to running. But somewhere inside of me, I held onto hope, healing and possibility.

And when once I worked to "find my strength", I must agree with that personal trainer at BU yesterday, "I am wicked strong -- keep it up."

Moving Forward - from A Celebration of Life now available on Amazon

Tethered and tied up to what once was
decades ago
staples, sutures
scar tissue
gingerly
tenderly released
my form reappears

now training for a 5K
training mind
moving mindfully
retraining body

a surprising bounce in my step
a lightness in my heart
awesome creation
transformation
how is this possible?

A beacon of light for others
of what IS possible
once defeated
now defying the odds

trusting in this miracle
moving forward.









No comments:

Followers