Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Find Your Distance

As I was reunited with my Spaulding Rehab Race for Rehab alumni



and talking with Boston Marathon legends, Billy Rodgers



and Dick Beardsley, everyone had the same message for me, "Find your distance!"

I toyed with the idea of becoming an endurance runner again.

About a week ago, the New England weather prevented me from going outside for a run so I went on my stationary bike on a Friday. I did 6.2 miles with intervals really kicking my bike workout up a notch. A storm with near blizzard conditions was predicted for Sunday so rather than take a rest day and run the risk of needing to do another bike workout, Tom and I headed out to Heartbreak Hill for 4.25 miles.

Last week, I co hosted Singing Boston Strong: Karis' Karaoke for a Kause and then we went into the Hyannis Marathon weekend.

As well as I feel and as well as I am doing, every once in awhile I am reminded and humbled that I do live with a spinal cord injury which is a result of contracting paralytic polio as a child. Five years ago I soldiered on through the brutal New England winter because I was a woman on a mission - to run the Boston Marathon.

In the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings, I realized that I could and I must run again but that I must respect where my body is at today. Everyone I met with whom I shared my journey celebrated my Boston Marathon run and where I am today. We all agreed that there is no such thing as "just" a 5K or a 10K.

Yesterday, although it was freezing - 29 degrees and not sure what the wind chill was, I went out for a 3 miler and did a sub 15 minute/mile pace. I felt wonderful and happy and so contented with the distance.

It's amazing - when champions Bill Rodgers and Dick Beardsley and the alumni from Spaulding Rehab's Race for Rehab team all say, "Find your distance," suddenly my distance becomes one to be celebrated.

And so does yours - whether it's a mile or 26.2 miles.

Find and celebrate your distance!

No comments:

Followers