Thursday, March 20, 2014

Out of our deepest wounds.....

As I was writing my memoir, "Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing, Hope and Possibility,"



this quote came to me:

Out of our deepest wounds we find our greatest strength, our most beautiful treasures and the knowledge that love is far greater and more powerful than any experience we endure. ~Mary McManus


After the Boston Marathon bombings, this quote took on even greater meaning for me. As we near the anniversary of 4/15/13, and as we prepare for 4/21/14, I see this Truth being manifested all around me.

Adrianne Haslet-Davis vowed that she would dance again even though she lost her lower left leg in the bombings. And yesterday she did just that at the TED conference in Vancouver. There are many news stories covering the event. My favorite so far has been the Boston Globe's article, Marathon bombing survivor dances onstage at TED talk. And a longer article from TED, A first dance on a next generation bionic limb.

The banners are being unveiled today in Boston. A sure rite of Spring.

Boston's Mayor Walsh had this to say in a press release:

“The Boston Marathon street banners mark the kick-off of a world-class event the City of Boston is so proud to host,” Walsh said in a news release. “This year, we have the opportunity to reflect and draw inspiration from the strength and courage of all those affected by last year’s tragedy — by the heroics of our first responders and caregivers, and by the countless acts of selflessness throughout our community.”


As I have been reading news stories and look at the date on the calendar, I feel such a wide range of intense emotions. I've been crying a lot this morning - healing tears filled with sadness overflowing from a raw heart that has borne witness to the darkest side of humanity beginning when I was 8 years old; and tears of joy and gratitude. Tears of hope and tears that glisten with possibility that, as Hugh Herr said during his TED talk, "I didn’t view my body as broken. I reasoned that a human being can never be broken." It's funny that my working title for my memoir had been Broken Into Wholeness and then I came to realize that I was never broken only wounded and in need of healing.

My heart leaps with joy as I anticipate Spring after this long New England winter feeling as though the Polar Vortex would never leave us. Just as we feel that the pain and pangs of grief and trauma will never leave us, Spring always comes again.

And it bears repeating:

Out of our deepest wounds we find our greatest strength, our most beautiful treasures and the knowledge that love is far greater and more powerful than any experience we endure. ~Mary McManus

No comments:

Followers