Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Magic of Running

Yesterday my daughter and I went for our run twice around Jamaica Pond. I am reading Bill Rodgers book, "Marathon Man" and he talks about how he did his training runs around Jamaica Pond. I could feel the presence of his legacy and felt a connection to something bigger than me.

We have many fond memories of our training runs around Jamaica Pond. Even though the pond was frozen and we had to watch out for slush, ice and mud, there was magic, beauty and majesty in the scene. I remembered how I was inspired to write the poem Courage on one of our training runs. The scene was similar to how it was 5 winters ago as we trained for Boston 2009.


Courage - January 5, 2009
The fear of ice and snow and slush embedded in my soul
a training run in winter - the path to Being whole.
A winter scene - Jamaica Pond - a feast for eyes' delight
to witness nature's splendor and behold this glorious sight.
A leaf - a tiny dancer - skating free without a sound
God's breath directs her movements,as She guides her twirling 'round.
Families of ducks decide to walk or take a dip
a comedy of errors into icy water slip.
The branches now bejeweled with ice bend with loving Grace
sparkling diamonds' anchor water's surface hold in place.
God's hand a glove of glistening snow
hugs rocks along the wall
their heads peek out reminding me I'm answering God's call.
A scene I'd never witness if I let my fear take hold
courage triumphed, steppin' out with footsteps sure and bold.
Knowing that the pain subsides and Spirit can prevail
the Marathon is beckoning - through those miles I shall sail.


We saw families of ducks and the snow covered rocks and we delighted in the scene. We laughed as we reminisced about the day that Tom and I lost each other going around - emphasize around - Jamaica Pond.

From my blog 3/29/09:

And who could EVER forget us losing each other around - emphasize the word a-round Jamaica Pond. Tom had stopped at the car to fill up the water bottles and get some snacks. He had his iPod on really loudly. I was in the zone and ran by him. I saw him looking for me in the opposite direction and yelled to him that I was over here. I felt so great and the weather was wonderful that I did not want to interrupt my rhythm. Finally, my daughter who had been going at her own pace came running up to me - where were you she asked? (well duh, we're going around in a circle) Dad is worried sick about you. He thought that since you had to go to the bathroom (and the bathrooms were not open yet) that you went off the trail and went to pee in the woods). We finally all caught up with one another and laughed so hard.


We are doing support crew tomorrow for L Street so we needed to get in our 5 miler today. The sun was shining and I could just tell it was going to be a great day for a run. I layered because it was chilly and there's still a lot of snow and ice on the ground. Once we got into the sunshine, we began to peel off layers.

And as Tom and I are heading down Beacon Street, I hear someone call my name from behind me. It was none other than David Brown - again! He said "This is my lucky day." Well it was our lucky day for sure. As David ran off to finish his long run I let out a yell for Forsyth Team Miles4Smiles.

Runners were out by the hundreds today many sporting their Boston Strong t shirts. The winter chill is leaving the air. The sun is warmer and the birds are singing strong. There is magic in the air - the magic of running - and the magic of Boston getting ready for the 118th Boston Marathon.





No comments:

Followers