Friday, January 9, 2009

Accentuate the Positive

Remember that old song, Accentuate the Positive, eliminate the negative and don't mess with mister in between - it's a mantra that I say to myself to ignite the flame of Spirit within to drive me forward on this journey. When I took a leap of faith now almost two years ago and left the VA to follow my bliss and to heal my life, I had no idea that I would be sitting here, writing a blog about my company, my book and my journey on the Road to the Boston Marathon. I have a business website, www.newworldgreetings.com; a book of inspirational poetry, "New World Greetings:Inspirational Poetry and Musings for a New World" available through my website and wherever books are sold (and I donate 20% to Spaulding Rehab's Polio Fund) and another one 'in the oven'; and a website dedicated to fund raising www.firstgiving.com/teammcmanus to raise a lot of money for Spaulding Rehab by running the Boston Marathon.

I am blessed with a loving husband who loves his work and has made a full recovery from bladder cancer; I have two beautiful children who are healthy and finding their paths in life; and I have defied the diagnosis of post polio syndrome and am now running - yes running and tomorrow we shall run 17 miles on our long training run. Yesterday, in the cold and wind, my daughter and I went to Jamaica Pond to do our hill training. It was slushy and muddy but we would not be deterred to run as fast as we could up a hill 8 times and then run around the Pond at a good pace. We talked about how this is so new and different and we are embracing every step of this journey. Training - training to claim health and fitness and training to do an endurance run. These are words so antithetical to anything I had known in my life as a polio survivor and then after being diagnosed with post polio syndrome, I initially prepared myself to not be able to walk up stairs and to probably need a wheelchair at some point in the future.

So how did this happen? That, my friends I can tell you in one word - FAITH! Faith and my connection to God fuels every step of this journey. Faith and my belief that I can finish the Boston Marathon. Faith and my belief that I am worthy of a life overflowing with blessings. Faith and my belief that I have the ability, with the help of God to face any challenge in life and to know that I will find the lessons and the blessings in the challenge. Faith that God is with me at all times. Faith that God's love and light and Truth are more powerful than any human experience I have known and will ever known. Faith to see beyond appearances and to seek goodness and express gratitude.

Today's gratitudes:
I am grateful for this warm home filled with love and laughter.
I am grateful for my health.
I am grateful for sore muscles because this tells me that I am working hard to get fit.
I am grateful for the beautiful people that have graced my life.
I am grateful for my upcoming trip to Puerto Rico.
I am grateful for the love in my heart and the feeling of Spirit deep in my soul.

May you all have a blessed day overflowing with peace, joy, love and kindness.

No comments:

Followers