Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Flexibility (and Strength) Keys to Training

With wind chills in single digit numbers and a foot of snow on the ground, what's a marathoner in training supposed to do? God along with the ever present voice of my personal trainer, Janine, helped me to develop an awesome cross training plan yesterday. My original plan was to do speed drills on the bike. After a 5 minute warm up, I felt inspired to do a tempo run - to see how long it would take me to do 8 miles on the bike. I knew that it usually took me 40 minutes - and then a 5 minute warm up and a 5 minute cool down - I cranked up the old iPod and put on music with a strong steady beat and then watched the miles go by - I was finished in 30 minutes! My peak heart rate was 160 and my average heart rate was around 148 - a great cardio work out in the warmth and safety of my own home. I was soaked to the skin and felt detoxified and refreshed after this work out.

With the sweat, I shed old beliefs of being weak or unable to push myself. After all, in just a few weeks I am going to be running the Boston Marathon - 26.2 miles. I am clearing out the negative beliefs and focusing on fine tuning both my physical and mental game. There is no room for fear at this phase of the journey and I am so grateful to God that I am finding the mental strength to challenge and release the fears; to cry healing tears and sweat and push and to know that I can meet every challenge with God's help.

I am so grateful for this amazing journey and for the companions who I have been blessed to find along journey's way. I am blessed to have the love, support and camaraderie of my family. I am blessed to have met so many people I never would have met had I not answered God's call in February 2008. I am blessed to know with utter faith and confidence that I am ready to run the 113th running of the Boston Marathon.

For more information about my book of inspirational poetry which helped to inspire my body to heal and my wonderful customized poetry business, go to www.newworldgreetings.com
For more information about my healing journey and to make a donation to Team McManus, go to www.firstgiving.com/teammcmanus

See you at the finish line!
God bless,
Mary

No comments:

Followers